McCann Equipment Ltd., carries a complete range of torque tool products.
Such as manual, pneumatic, electric and hydraulic torque wrenches.
Complete range of torque multipliers.
USM-3 – Ultrasonic Stress Meter
As design engineers push the envelope to provide
greater strength and efficiency in bolted joints,
the use of torque, torque and angle, or even
tensioning as the method of tension control
may not be adequate,leading to costly failures.
In those applications, ultrasonic bolt
elongation/load measurement is able
to provide accuracy equal to strain gauging
without the need to strain gauge a bolt.
In addition, the use of ultrasonic bolt
measurement allows the user to return at any
time and re-verify the level of tension in each
fastener over its service life. The USM-3 has been
both laboratory and field-proven to be the most
accurate, reliable and cost effective solution to
bolting failures which could place workers at risk,
lead to the loss of production and/or cause
damage to capital equipment.
The basic principle behind this method of tension control is similar to sonar. The ultrasonic
measurement of bolt tension is achieved by introducing a sonic pulse at one end of the fastener
and accurately measuring the time of flight (TOF) required for the echo to return from the
opposite end. Using material constants, the USM-3 converts this TOF into an “acoustic length”
of the fastener, providing a baseline from which future measurements will be made.When the
fastener is tightened: the TOF increases and the USM-3 will again utilize material constants
to eliminate effects of stress and temperature variations on sound velocity, providing an
accurate elongation or load measurement.
The USM-3 uses state of the art hardware and digital signal processing to achieve these
measurements with maximum automation, minimizing the need for operator interpretation.
Once measurements have been recorded to the USM-3 internal memory, the included SonicBolt
software will transfer the data to a computer for backup of files, creation of project reports, and
conversion of data to Excel format for further analysis. In addition, the analogue signal output
can be used to automatically shut-off powered torque and tensioning tools based on elongation
or load, in even the most demanding applications.
• Large 1/4 VGA back lit display is easily visible from a distance and in poor light.
• Can store up to 4000 bolts, 20,000 elongation and load readings.
• Rugged steel and aluminium case designed for production,
field and construction environments.
• USM-3 is supplied in a rugged water tight (Pelican®) case complete with
AC adaptor, nylon carrying case,
10’ (approx. 3m) transducer cable, data transfer cable, 4 oz bottle of couplant,
batteries and operators handbook.
• Measures fasteners of virtually any material from 1/2 inch (12mm)
to over 50 feet (15m) in length.
• 0 – 10V analogue output for control of tightening tools such as a
Norbar Pneutorque® multiplier.
• Fast update speeds.
• Measurement modes of pitch-catch and pulse-echo.
• Unit can be operated with mains power supply (96 to 264 Volts)
or via 4 ‘C’ cell batteries.
• Sealed membrane keypad with tactile keys.
• Works with magnetic and glue on transducers from 1 MHz to 10 MHz.
For more information contact your sales representative.
USM-3 ULTRASONIC STRESS METER
Part No.: 40334
Resolution: 0.00001 inch (0.0001 mm)
Dimensions: 7-1/16“ H x 9-7/16“ W x 2-1/16“ Deep (180mm H x 239mm W x 53mm deep)
Weight: 2.25 Kg (4.95 lb) with batteries
STANDARD MAGNETIC TRANSDUCERS
Transducer Diameter# Frequency Part No. Dimensions (mm)
#This diameter refers to the nominal diameter of the piezo electric crystal. The annular magnet increases the diameter to the value of ‘A’ shown.
* Dimension ‘C’ represents the maximum clearance needed for the transducer fitted with a standard transducer cable.
† Dimension ‘D’ represents the maximum clearance needed for the transducer fitted with a right angle transducer lead.
• If the use of a right angle transducer lead does not provide enough clearance then we can supply transducers with side connectors. Add ‘.SIDE’ after the part number when ordering, eg. 56016.SIDE.
• For operating temperatures in excess of 54ºC (130ºF) (the rating for a standard transducer) then a High Temperature Transducer with a maximum rating of 175ºC (347ºF) should be used.To order High Temperature transducers add ‘.HITEMP’ to the part number when ordering, eg. 56016.HITEMP.
GLUE ON TRANSDUCERS
Part Number: 56021
Size: 3mm x 3mm
Frequency: 7.5 MHz
Quantity: Box of 100
Part Code: 60235 / Description: 10’ (approx 3m) Transducer Cable, Lemo 00 to Microdot RG174
Part Code: 60235.RA / Description: 10’ (approx 3m) Transducer Cable, Lemo 00 to Microdot RG174 with right angle connector
Part Code: 60236 / Description: 20’ (approx 6m) Transducer Cable, Lemo 00 to Microdot RG174
Part Code: 60236.RA / Description: 20’ (approx 6m) Transducer Cable, Lemo 00 to Microdot RG174 with right angle connector
Part Code: 60235.HITEMP / Description: 10‘ (approx 3m) Transducer Cable High Temperature 200°C Teflon
Part Code: 60235.ARM / Description: 10‘ (approx 3m) Transducer Cable High Temperature 200°C Teflon Armour Coated
Part Code: 60270 / Description: 10’ (approx 3m) Transducer Cable Lemo 00 to probe for use with glue on transducers
Part Code: 61116 / Description: 6’ RS232 (Serial Lead) Transfer Cable DB9 Male/Female
Part Code: 39208 / Description: UK Mains Lead (3 pin plug)
Part Code: 39453 / Description: Mains transformer and Flying Lead
Part Code: 61112 / Description: Bottle of Ultrasonic couplant 4 oz (approx 0.12 l)
Part Code: 39454 / Description: Pelican Case for USM-3 including Foam Insert
Part Code: 39455 / Description: Soft Carrying Case for USM-3
Part Code: 60271 / Description: Digital Temperature Probe (Accuracy ±0.5%ºC/±1ºF)
Part Code: 61117 / Description: Length Bar Set 3“ & 6“ (76mm & 152mm) with certificate from accredited body
Part Code: – / Description: USM-3 Manual – available from Website
© Norbar Torque Tools Ltd 2017